Thursday, September 8, 2011

Amish Slaw

I love coleslaw...but only when it's vinegar based.  I'm not a mayo girl (in fact, if something I love has mayo in it, I make sure no one lets me in on the secret!), so this was a perfect coleslaw for me.  It's also great to make when it's going to be sitting out for a while--there's no dairy in it whatsoever!

Note:  There will be a LOT of the dressing left over.  The Amish made this slaw (according to the woman who shared the recipe with me) to help preserve veggies.  It's not a flaw in the dressing.  Use a slotted spoon, like this adorable one from ModCloth:


Anywho, moving on...Amish Slaw!

Ingredients
1 medium head cabbage, cored and shredded (I didn't use a purple one, but you could)
1 medium onion, finely chopped (I'm not a huge raw onion fan, so I used about 1/3 of the whole onion)
1 yellow bell pepper, sliced thinly
2 shredded carrots
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp white sugar
1 tsp prepared mustard (I used Nance's Sharp and Creamy, not yellow mustard)
3/4 cup vegetable oil


Directions
1.  In a large bowl, toss together the cabbage, onion, bell pepper, and carrot with the 1 cup of sugar.

2.  In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, salt, celery seed, 1 tsp white sugar, mustard, and oil.  Bring to a boil and cook for 3 minutes.  Cool completely, then pour over cabbage mixture.  Toss to coat.  Refrigerate overnight for best flavor.

This coleslaw is amazing the day it's made, but even better a couple days later when the flavors get to marry a bit.  It's definitely a crowd pleaser!
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tsp

No comments:

Post a Comment